Friday, March 15, 2013

Serendipity at Sea

Here's to the nights we won't remember, with the people we will never forget.

-Bill Bryce

We meet 3 months ago, young strangers on a Swedish boat bound for Helsinki. The other girls in the buffet pick the salad. I watch you heap on meatballs and potatoes onto your plate. I like you already. You sit with me, the chemistry is natural. Dancing, singing, and two pina coladas later, we are friends. We exchange stories about life, love and loss in our cabin. We wake up to a Finnish sunrise. The air is salty and freezing cold.

We each have wonderful plans for Finland. They do not converge. I prepare my heart to accept that from here we go our own ways. I put on a civil bye-bye face. A strong farewell hug forces from our lips promises unthinkable. "I must see you again!" "Contact me please!" "I'll miss you!" We smile at the words, each heart basking in the sensibility of the other. Silly, silly girls.

I know this is real, because you are texting me.
Two months later, we have an action plan for Berlin.

Unforgettable, Amalia!(:















  

  



Boat in Sweden, Dec 2012


Boat in Berlin, March 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment